Saturday, April 3, 2010

Iceberg Tips

One day left of Spring Break and I'm not quite ready to go back, I think. That's strange for me: usually, I'm ready. Maybe it's all of the work to be done and rabbit holes to be explored. The workshop is mostly set up, even though there's still quite a bit of extra STUFF in the garage. I need to Craigslist much of it, but that's just another overwhelming item on the to-do list. The tool chest is stocked (the top half full of ceramic, jewelry, and knitting supplies, along with leftovers from every other crafty endeavor I've undertaken in this life). Things I learned while setting up the workshop:
1. I have enough empty plastic totes to start a container store, or fill a landfill.
2. Stowing craft supplies all over the house for 8 years makes you forget what you have. Putting the supplies all together in one place reminds you precisely how many hot glue guns you own: 5. Anyone need a hot glue gun?
3. Using a torch is easier than it appears. Acetylene is hotter than MAPP gas.
4. No matter how many storage racks, bike hangers, and shop lights you buy, things will not become more organized unless and until you actually HANG THEM UP.
5. Dad's garage is a more affordable and more accommodating home improvement store than Home Depot, Lowe's or Harbor Freight. Thanks to Dad for a soldering iron, a magnifying light, a Dremel tool, a vise on a stand, a small torch, an antique parking meter (okay, not really a tool, but a nice piece of kitschy decor), and some other handy tools.

As for the artistic elements, I tried a few things out and noticed a little learning pattern I'm falling into. It's a cycle of read, do, read, do, read, do. I learn more if I layer things this way. In pot throwing and glass torching, it's hard to stop in between steps to read through a book chapter. Instead, I read, implement what I remember, clean up the wheel or the heat-resistant mat, and hit the books again to learn how to fix what I've messed up. The results of these first pottery and bead-making experiments are not beautiful, but there is promise in them.

Re: The Throwing of Pots. It is both easier and more difficult than I imagined. Through books and YouTube, I figured out how to wedge and center the clay. I also figured out how to open up the clay and consequently decided that I really need to trim my fingernails. I am going to need to seek some advice from an expert about how to figure out just how soft the clay should be, and I'd like to run through all of the steps with a potter now that I've had some preliminary practice.

Re: The Torching of Beads. I've decided to throw a few more media into the mix: glass beads, sterling silver, and glass pendants. These are things I've always thought I would do, and this little art show seems as a good a time as any to incorporate them. The bead torching was calming, as was the pot throwing. It's yoga, realizing your breath in glowing glass or the clay on your pants.

Re: The Design Process. I'm falling into this twofold approach--learn the basic skills while gathering inspiration and planning for more complicated pieces. Blind faith is a key element--I'm just going to believe I can do this. Like M said once of the marathon: "It's just a process, like anything else." So I started collecting thoughts about the birds and plants I remember from childhood and piecing together little memory poems from the experiences they stirred up.

Re: The Spindle. Okay, and I bought a spindle, some dye, and some wool. But really, really this is the last medium I'll add. Promise.

Re: The Camera. I guess I really am going to have to read the manual.

Re: The Kiln. Ummm. See above under "The Camera."

Re: Those Deferred Dreams. Avie has woken up crying. I guess I'll just have to...err...defer this one for another day?

No comments:

Post a Comment